Operating Short Term Financing
A new operating loan program is being introduced to help municipalities address the loss of revenues resulting from COVID-19. The $380 million loan program, which was developed in collaboration with the Nova Scotia Federation of Municipalities and the Association of Municipal Administrators, will be available through the Municipal Financial Corporation (MFC).
• Municipalities requesting financing assistance must do so by March 31, 2021.
• Municipalities shall repay one third of the principal amount of the Loan to the MFC on each anniversary date of the Loan
and repay the loan fully no later than March 2024.
• Interest shall be paid semi-annually, with the first semi-annual payment occurring six months from the date the loan
was issued, with other semi-annual Interest payments occurring on the anniversary date of the loan and continuing until
the date the loan is fully repaid.
• Provincial 3-year fixed term rate of 1.1% on the loans.
• Municipalities interested in accessing a loan will first need to determine their revenue shortfall;
• Municipal councils will be required to pass a resolution and submit it to the Department of Municipal Affairs and
• The department will analyze requests and, if approved, will forward the approval to the MFC; and,
• Upon approval by the MFC's board of directors, the MFC will administer a loan agreement.